Harold Frank Hall, Rm. 1006
Office hours: Monday-Friday 9:00-12:00 & 1:00-4:00
Phone: (805) 893-2809
Fax: (805) 893-8124
Change of Major into and within the College of Engineering
Current UCSB students in a non-engineering major, as well as students wishing to change from one engineering major to another, are welcome to apply after the satisfactory completion of a pre-defined set of coursework. However, due to the current demand for engineering majors, students are cautioned that it is a very competitive process and not all applicants will be able to change their majors due to limited space availability.
Students who enter UCSB as transfer students will not be able to change to or add an engineering major, if not initially accepted into one.
Students who began as freshmen who plan to enter an engineering major or to change from one engineering major to another will be expected to complete at least 30 units at UCSB before petitioning for a change of major and usually must satisfy the prerequisites of the prospective major. Students who have completed more than 105 units will not be considered for a change of major/change of college in engineering or computer science unless they can demonstrate that they will be able to complete all the degree requirements without exceeding 215 total units.
Notwithstanding any of the major-specific requirements described below, we caution that the capacity of any given program to accept new students changes, sometimes substantially, from year to year. It is incumbent upon students to continue to make progress in a backup major while pursuing a new major in the College of Engineering, and to periodically consult academic advisors in both the desired major as well as the backup major regarding the viability of pursuing the change of major.
Admission to the Chemical Engineering major is determined by a number of factors, including an overall UCSB grade point average of 3.0 or better, and satisfactory completion of the following courses or their equivalents: Math 3A-B, 4A; Chemistry 1A-1AL or 2A-2AC, 1B-1BL or 2B-2BC, 1C-1CL or 2C-2CC; Engineering 3; and Physics 1-2. Decisions involving factors beyond scores and grades are made exclusively by the chemical engineering faculty. Only a limited number of petitions will be approved.
Students may petition to enter the Computer Engineering major at any time both of the following requirements are met:
- An overall UCSB grade point average of at least 3.0.
- Satisfactory completion at UCSB, with a grade point average of 3.0 or better, of any five classes, including at least two Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) classes and two Computer Science (CMPSC) classes, from the following: Math 4B, ECE 10A/L, 10B/L, 10C/L (each count as one course), ECE 15A, CMPSC 16, 24, 32, 40.
Students may petition to enter the Computer Science major when the following requirements are met:
- A cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0;
- Satisfactory completion of Computer Science 16 and 24 with a cumulative GPA of 3.2 or higher (first takes only);
- Satisfactory completion of Math 3A, 3B, 4A, 4B and Computer Science 40 with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher (first takes only)
The selection process is highly competitive and these milestones are minimum requirements for consideration, achieving them does not guarantee admission to the Computer Science major. Any petitions denied will be automatically considered a second time in the next quarter. Petitions denied a second time will not be reconsidered. Details found at the CS "Admission to the Major" page.
Students may petition to enter the Electrical Engineering major at any time both of the following requirements are met:
- An overall UCSB grade point average of at least 3.0.
- Satisfactory completion at UCSB, with a grade point average of 3.0 or better, of any five classes, including at least two Electrical & Computer Engineering (ECE) classes and two Computer Science (CMPSC) classes, from the following: Math 4B, ECE 10A/L, 10B/L, 10C/L (each count as one course), ECE 15A, CMPSC 16, 24, 32, 40. The calculation of the minimum GPA will be based on all classes completed from this list at the time of petitioning.
Before petitioning for a change of major to mechanical engineering, six (6) of the following core courses or their UC equivalents must be completed: Math 3A-B; Math 4A; Math 4B; Math 6A-B; Physics 1-2; ME 14-15 (at least one of the 6 courses must include ME 14 or ME 15). Acceptance into the major will be based on UC grade point averages, applicable courses completed, and space availability. All students considering changing into Mechanical Engineering must meet with the ME Academic Advisor during their first year.
Change of Major out of the College of Engineering
Students thinking about changing their major out of the College of Engineering are encouraged to meet with advisor(s) in the major they are interested.
College of Letters and Science: http://duels.ucsb.edu/advising
College of Creative Studies: https://ccs.ucsb.edu/apply
Other helpful resources for students considering a change of major are Career Services, Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) counselors, and faculty in the perspective major. Students should understand, once a student changes out of the College of Engineering, they will not be able to change back. Advisors in the College of Engineering are happy to advise students as they try to determine if they will change their major or not.