#1 in the world for research impact among public universities, Leiden University rankings for research citation impact in engineering, 2013-19
#1 Materials graduate program among public universities, US News (2012-18), NRC 2010
#6 Chemical engineering graduate program among public universities, US News 2019
All graduate programs ranked in the Top 8, NRC 2010
3 Nobel Laureates among our accomplished faculty
#1 in early-career faculty awards received by eligible faculty, NSF CAREER or Presidential PECASE awards, among public universities
- Total faculty: 144
- Nobel Prizes: 3
- Members, National Academy of Engineering: 36
- Members, National Academy of Science: 10
- Members, National Academy of Inventors: 11
- Winners, National Medal of Technology: 2
- Highly Cited Researchers: 6
- Members, Royal Society of London: 4
- Members, Royal Society of Sweden: 2
- Members, Royal Academy of Engineering: 2
- Winners, Millennium Award: 1
- We operate as the West Coast hub of the American Photonics Manufacturing Institute launched by the White House in 2015.
- We are one of several research institutions within the federal initiative Next Generation Power Electronics Institute.
- Professor Shuji Nakamura received the 2014 Nobel Prize in Physics for inventing blue-LED technology.
- Professors Herb Kroemer and Alan Heeger, both Nobel Prize recipients of 2000, are pioneers in semiconductor heterostructures, the basis for modern photonics.
- Professors Arthur Gossard and Herb Kroemer were early pioneers in molecular beam epitaxy.
- The world's largest student "capture the flag" hacking competition is held by the UCSB Computer Security group.
- UCSB was one of the first nodes of ARPANET, the first transmission of the Internet.
- One of the most successful public-private research partnerships in the country, with a nearly 1:1 patent-to-publication ratio, Mitsubishi Center
- #1 in patents issued, utility licenses, and start-up companies per $100M in funding
- Among Top 50 schools for venture-capital-backed entrepreneurship, Forbes 2014