Founded in 1966
We were officially established as a College of Engineering at UC Santa Barbara in 1966, after several years of growth and engineering departments that emerged during the 1960s. Join us as we celebrate 50 years of UCSB Engineering during the 2016 - 2017 academic year, and marvel at how technology has evolved in fifty years.
Every week from July 2016 to June 2017 we will be sharing a story from our past or present, such as: pioneers in technology, alumni making an impact, living historians, students reaching ahead to a better future. Be sure to follow us on social media to catch our weekly posts tagged #UCSBCOE50. Read Our Engineering Stories, an archive of our anniversary articles for the year plus your submissions.
How to Get Involved
- Tell Your Story! Alumni, friends, members of the community past and present, tag posts on social media with #UCSBCOE50 or submit your story online.
- Sign up for email news
- Follow #UCSBCOE50 on Social Media: Facebook - Instagram - Twitter
- Celebrate with us! We are commemorating this milestone with the planting of a Time Capsule. You can contribute items through the end of the school year.
Sign up to receive email news twice a month that highlights alumni, images from our archives, and current UCSB Engineering news.
- April 2017, no. 12: Engineering Visionary, Surf to Science Alumni
- February 2017, no. 11: Stories with Richard Kemmerer, the strongest structure in the universe
- January 2017, no. 10: Alum David Vandervoet, Decoding the mechanical control of tissue growth, UCSB never changes
- December 2016, no. 9: Newly elected NAI members, What science is all about, and UCSB COE Time Capsule Ideas
- November 2016, no. 8: The face of STEM, alum Diego Rey, and a student-built hovercraft from 1987
- October 2016, no. 7: Professor and alumnus Matt Begley, Los Ingenieros, and grad student Victoria Rosborough
- September 2016 no. 6: Discover Engineeering, zombie robotics, and the UCSB COE 50th Anniversary Time Capsule
- September 2016, no. 5: Farm kid to engineer, Melanie McNeil 'fixes' a GC, and alum Neil Topliffe
- August 2016, no. 4: Electrical Engineering in '83, Igor Mezic on smart buildings, and alum Maricris Palentinos
- August 2016, no. 3: Wind tunnel lab, haptics, and alum Sowju Mudunuri
- July 2016, no. 2: Ocean engineering lab, Team Shellphish, and alum Jaiom Sambyal
- July 2016, no. 1: Where were you before the internet? Anniversary kick-off issue