Chemistry & Biochemistry
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9510
tel: (805) 893-5817
fax: (805) 893-4120
Personal web site
Currently our group is interested in the optical and electro optical properties of processable conjugated polymers, as well as in the organic chemistry of fullerenes, and the design and the preparation of self-mending polymers. We have been studying single component re-mending polymers. In addition, we continue to perform research on plastic solar cells with the goal of developing new materials to improve the efficiency of the solar cells within the concepts developed at UCSB over a decade ago, as well as employing possible new concepts.
Fred Wudl, Professor of Chemistry and Materials, Co-Director of the Center for Polymers and Organic Solids (CPOS), and Acting Associate Director, California NanoSystems Institute (CNSI) at the University of California, Santa Barbara (UCSB), received his B.S. (1964) and Ph.D. (1967) degree from the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) where his dissertation work was done with Professor Donald J. Cram. After postdoctoral research with R.B. Woodward at Harvard, he joined the faculty of the State University of New York at Buffalo. He then moved, first in 1972 to AT&T Bell Laboratories, and subsequently to UCSB in 1982, and then UCLA from 1997 to 2006. He is widely known for his work on organic conductors and superconductors with the discovery of the electronic conductivity of the precursor to the first organic metal and superconductor. His interest in electronically conducting polymers resulted in discovery of the first transparent organic conductor and the first self-doped polymers. Currently he is interested in the optical and electrooptical properties of processable conjugated polymers as well as in the organic chemistry of fullerenes and the design and preparation of self-mending and self-healing materials. He has received numerous awards and honors and has published over 500 papers.
- Professional Achievement Award, University of California, Los Angeles, 2008
- Tolman Medal of the SCALACS, 2007
- MIT Merck-Karl Pfister Visiting Professor in Organic Chemistry, 2006
- Honorary Fellow, Chemical Research Society of India (CRSI), 2005
- Professor C.N.R. Rao Lecture Award of CRSI, 2005
- Doctor Honoris Causa, Universidad Complutense, Madrid, Spain, 2004
- Herbert Newby McCoy Award, 2001
- Member, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2001
- Alumnus of the Year Award from Los Angeles City College, 1997
- American Chemical Society Award for Chemistry of Materials, 1996
- Bayer Lecturer, Cornell University, 1996
- Clapp Lecturer, Brown University, 1994
- The "Giulio Natta" Medal, Italian Chemical Society, Rome, Italy, 1994
- Wheland Medal, University of Chicago, 1994
- American Chemical Society Arthur C. Cope Scholar Award, 1993
- Arthur D. Little Award, 1993
- Stouffer Award, University of Southern California, 1993
- 3M Lecturer, University of British Columbia, 1992
- Karcher Lecturer, University of Oklahoma, 1992
- Peter A. Leermakers Lecturer,, 1992
- Visiting Scientist at the C.N.R.S. "Postes Rouge" Orsay, France, 1992
- William Rauscher Lecturer in Chemistry Award awarded by Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1992
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1989
- Peter A. Leermakers Lecturer, 1988
See complete list of publications
- Functionalized Methanofullerenes Used as n-Type Materials in Bulk-Heterojunction Polymer Solar Cells and in Field-Effect Transistors, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 130(20), 2008, 6444-6450, Yang, C.; Kim, Jin Y.; Cho, S.; Lee, J. K.; Heeger, A. J.; Wudl, F.
- Hybrid Organic-Inorganic Framework Structures: Influence of Cation Size on Metal-Oxygen-Metal Connectivity in the Alkaline Earth Thiazolothiazoledicarboxylates, Inorganic Chemistry, 47(18), 2008, 8336-8342, Falcao, E. H. L.; Naraso; Feller, R. K.; Wu, G.; Wudl, F.; Cheetham, A. K.
- Hydrogen Cyano Fullerene Derivatives as Acid for Proton Conducting Membranes, Journal of the Electrochemical Society, 155(10), 2008, B1077-B1084, Tasaki, K.; Venkatesan, A.; Wang, H.; Jousselme, B.; Stucky, G.; Wudl, F.
- Synthesis and Characterization of a Single-Component Thermally Remendable Polymer Network: Staudinger and Stille Revisite, Macromolecules, 41(14), 2008, 5203-5209, Murphy, E. B.; Bolanos, E.; Schaffner-Hamann, C.; Wudl, F.; Nutt, S. R.; Auad, M. L.
- The Most Stable and Fully Characterized Functionalized Heptacene, Angewandte Chemie, International Edition, 47(44), 2008, 8380-8385, Chun, D., Cheng, Y., Wudl, F.
- Two Poly(2,5-thienythiazolothiazole)s: Observation of Spontaneous Ordering in Thin Films, Macromolecules, 41(9), 2008, 3169-3174, Naraso; Wudl, F.
- Visible-Near Infrared Absorbing Dithienylcyclopentadienone-Thiophene Copolymers for Organic Thin-Film Transistors, Journal of the American Chemical Society, 130(49), 2008, 16524-16526, Yang, C., Cho, S., Chiechi, R. C., Walker, W., Coates, N. E., Moses, D., Heeger, A., Wudl, F.
- Mendable Polymers, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 18(1), 2007, 41-62, S. D.; Wudl, F.
- Protection of Lithium Metal Surfaces Using Chlorosilanes, Langmuir, 23(23), 2007, 11597-11602, Marchioni, F.; Star, Kurt; M., Erik; Buffeteau, T.; Servant, L.; Dunn, B.; Wudl, F.
- Completion of the three primary colours: the final step toward plastic displays, J. Mats. Chem., 15, 2005, 20-22, Sonmez G, Wudl F
- Closed shell cationic conducting polymers, Abstracts Of Papers Of The American Chemical Society, 227, U162-U162 352-ORGN Part 2., 2004, Chiechi RC, Sonmez G, Wudl F
- Intercalation and exfoliation routes to nanoscrolled materials, Abstracts of Papers of The American Chemical Society, 227 U1302-U1302 100-INOR Part 1, 2004, Viculis LM, Mack JJ, Huang SC, Huang JX, Hick SM, Ding ZF, Falcao E, Wudl F, Kaner RB
- Novel reversible ionic-to-covalent transition in a highly conducting TTF derivative, Abstracts Of Papers Of The American Chemical Society, 227, U171-U171 403-ORGN Part 2., 2004, Shen CKF, Duong H, Sonmez G, Wudl F
- Preparation of nanostructured molybdenum disulfide for nanobattery electrode application, Abstracts of Papers of The American Chemical Society, 227 U1456-U1456 566-INOR Part 1, 2004, Falcao EHL, Viculis LM, Mack JJ, Kwon CW, Kaner RB, Dunn BS, Wudl F
- Red, green, and blue colors in polymeric electrochromics, Adv. Materials, 16, 2004, Sonmez G, Sonmez HB, Shen CKE, Wudl F
- Synthesis and properties of highly fluorescent indolizino[3,4,5-ab]isoindoles, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 126, 2004, 16793-16803, Mitsumori T, Bendikov M, Dautel O, Wudl F, Shioya T, Sato H, Sato Y
- Two for the price of one: An unprecedented, remarkable thermal two-group migration involving a sulfonynamide to nitrile rearrangement: Mechanistic studies of the first N -> C tosyl rearrangement, Abstracts Of Papers Of The American Chemical Society, 227, U147-U147 265-ORGN Part 2, 2004, Bendikov M, Duong HM, Wudl F