Electrical & Computer Engineering
Department of Mechanical Engineering
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
tel: (805) 893.5169
fax: (805) 893.8651
Personal web site
His main research interest is multi-agent networks with application to robotic coordination, distributed computing and power networks. Other interests include vehicle routing, geometric control, and motion planning.
He is the coauthor, with Andrew D. Lewis, of the book "Geometric Control of Mechanical Systems" (Springer, 2004, 0-387-22195-6) and, with Jorge Cortés and Sonia Martínez, of the book "Distributed Control of Robotic Networks" (Princeton, 2009, 978-0-691-14195-4). His students' papers were finalists for the Best Student Paper Award at the IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (2002, 2005, 2007), and the American Control Conference (2005, 2006, 2010). He has published more than 150 papers in international journals, books, and refereed conferences. He serves on the Editorial Board of the "SIAM Journal of Control and Optimization."
- Outstanding Paper Award, IEEE Control Systems Magazine, 2008
- ACC Best Student Paper Award (as advisor), 2006
- ONR Young Investigator, 2003
- CDC Best Student Paper Award (as advisor), 2002
See complete list of publications
- Optimal sensor placement andmotion coordination for target tracking, Automatica, 42(4), 2006, 661–668, S.Martinez and F. Bullo
- Quantized control via locational optimization., IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 51(1), 2006, 2-13, F. Bullo and D. Liberzon
- Controlled symmetries and passive walking, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 50(7), 2005, 1025–1031, M. W. Spong and F. Bullo
- Coordination and geometric optimization via distributed dynamical systems, SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization,, 44(5), 2005, 1543–1574, J. Cortes and F. Bullo
- Low-order controllability and kinematic reductions for affine connection control systems, SIAM Journal on Control and Optimization, 44(3), 2005, 885–908, F. Bullo and A. D. Lewis
- Spatially-distributed coverage optimization and control with limited range interactions, ESAIM. Control, Optimisation & Calculus of Variations, 11, 2005, 691–719, J. Cortes, S. Martinez, and F. Bullo
- Coverage control for mobile sensing networks., IEEE Transactions on Robotics and Automation, 20(2), 2004, 243–255, J. Cortes, S. Martinez, T. Karatas, and F. Bullo.
- Trajectory design for mechanical systems: from geometry to algorithms., European Journal of Control, 10(5), 2004, 397–410, F. Bullo.
- Analysis and design of oscillatory control systems, IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control, 48(7), 2003, 1164–1177, S.Martinez, J. Cortes, and F. Bullo