Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
tel: (805) 893-7161
fax: (805) 893-8797
Personal web site
Interface between organic and polymer chemistry with emphasis on the design, synthesis, and application of well-defined macromolecular structures in biotechnology, microelectronics and surface science.
In 1993 he joined the IBM Almaden Research Center. In addition to a variety of named lectureships, Dr. Hawker is editor of the Journal of Polymer Science, Polymer Chemistry, Adjunct Professor of Chemistry at the University of Queensland and serves on the Scientific Advisory Board of ILYPSA Therapeutics, Intezyne Technologies, and Warwick Effect Polymers as well as consulting for various multinational companies. His research has focused on the interface between organic and polymer chemistry with emphasis on the design, synthesis, and application of well-defined macromolecular structures in biotechnology, microelectronics and surface science. He holds 45 U.S. Patents, has co-authored over 250 papers in the areas of nanotechnology, materials science and chemistry and is listed as one of the Top 100 most cited chemists worldwide over the last decade (1996-2006).
- Mark Scholar Award, American Chemical Society, 2007
- ACS Award in Applied Polymer Science, American Chemical Society, 2005
- Cooperative Research Award from the American Chemical Society with Professor Tom Russell, 2003
- Carl S. Marvel Award in Creative Polymer Science by the American Chemical Society, 2001
- Young Scientists Award from IUPAC, 2000
See complete list of publications
- Efficiency and Fidelity in a Click-Chemistry Route to Triazole Dendrimers by the Copper(I)-Catalyzed Ligation of Azides and Alkynes, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 42, 2004, 3928-3932, Peng Wu, Alina K. Feldman, Anne K. Nugent, Craig J. Hawker, Arnulf Scheel, Brigitte Voit, Jeffrey Pyun, Jean M. J. Fréchet, K. Barry Sharpless, Valery V. Fokin
- Precise Control over Molecular Dimensions of Block-Copolymer Domains Using the Interfacial Energy of Chemically Nanopatterned Substrates, Adv. Mater., 16, 2004, 1315-1319, E. W. Edwards, M. F. Montague, H. H. Solak, C. J. Hawker, P. F. Nealey
- Dendronized Cyclocopolymers with a Radial Gradient of Polarity and their Use to Catalyze a Difficult Esterification, J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Commun., 2003, 2524-5, Liang, C.O.; Helms, B.; Hawker, C.J.; Fréchet, J.M.J.
- Macromolecules of Controlled Architecture, J. Mater. Chem., 13, 2003, 2653-2660, Jeffrey Pyun, Xian-Zhi Zhou, Eric Drockenmuller and Craig J. Hawker
- Nanoscale effects leading to non-Einstein-like decrease in viscosity, Nature Materials, 2, 2003, 762–766, Michael E. Mackay, Tien T. Dao, Anish Tuteja, Derek L. Ho, Brooke van Horn, Ho-cheol Kim and Craig J. Hawker
- Rod-coil block copolymers: An iterative synthetic approach via living free-radical procedures, J. Polym. Sci., Part A Polym. Chem., 41, 2003, 3640-3656, Padma Gopalan, Xuefa Li, Mingqi Li, Christopher K. Ober, Chad P. Gonzales, Craig J. Hawker