Electrical & Computer Engineering
Department of Electrical & Computer Engineering
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-9560
tel: (805) 893-3977
fax: (805) 893-3262
Communications, Control, and Signal Processing Group: Adaptive filtering, array processing, wireless communications, blind equalization, and interference rejection.
Professor Shynk joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering in 1986 after receiving his Ph.D. degree from Stanford University. Previously, he was a Member of Technical Staff at AT&T Bell Laboratories in Holmdel, NJ. His research interests are in the general area of adaptive signal processing, with applications in communications and bioengineering. He has developed stochastic models for various adaptive systems to investigate their transient and steady-state properties.
Currently, his research group is developing algorithms and receiver architectures for adaptive arrays that separate and demodulate cochannel sources in wireless communication systems. These algorithms employ a combination of training and "blind" adaptation to recover and track several sources, and generate estimates of their directions of arrival. The adaptive arrays provide a spatial processing capability that enhances conventional equalization techniques. Theoretical models have been developed to analyze the performance of the adaptive algorithms for a range of channel and signal conditions.
Professor Shynk serves as an Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, and was the Technical Program Chair for the 1992 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks in Baltimore. Prevously he was an Associate Editor for IEEE Signal Processing Letters and the International Journal of Adaptive Control and Signal Processing. He received the Engineering Distinguished Teaching Award in 1992, and a National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award in 1993.
- A Multistage Hybrid Constant Modulus Array with Constrained Adaptation for Correlated Sources, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 55, 2007, V. Venkataraman and J. J. Shynk
- Multicomponent Receiver Architectures for GPS Interference Suppression, IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, vol. 42, 2006, S.-S. Hwang and J. J. Shynk
- SINR Enhancement in an IS-95 Downlink SIC Receiver, Wireless Personal Communications, 2006, R. E. Cagley, J. J. Shynk, and R. P. Gooch
- Analysis of the Linear SIC for DS/CDMA Signals with Random Spreading, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 52, 2004, 3417-3428, K.-C. Lai and J. J. Shynk
- A Successive Cancellation Algorithm for Separating a Composite Fetal and Maternal ECG Signal, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 49, 2002, 943-954, K.-C. Lai and J. J. Shynk