Electrical & Computer Engineering
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
tel: 805 893 3244
Personal web site
His research group works to extend the operation of electronics to the highest feasible frequencies. Their research thus includes semiconductor devices (diodes, transistors, photodiodes), semiconductor fabrication process, circuit design, interconnects, instruments, and communications systems.
Particular interests include InP bipolar transistors, III-V ICs operating above 100 GHz, and high frequency IC design in both III-V and Silicon VLSI technologies. His group's work on GaAs Schottky-diode ICs for subpicosecond / mm-wave instrumentation was awarded the 1997 IEEE Microwave Prize. Prof. Rodwell was elected IEEE Fellow in 2003.
Mark Rodwell (B.S., University of Tennessee, Knoxville, 1980, M.S. Stanford University 1982, Ph.D. Stanford University 1988) is Professor and Director of the UCSB Nanofabrication Laboratory and NSF Nanofabrication Infrastructure Network (NNIN), and the SRC Nonclassical CMOS Research Center at the University of California, Santa Barbara. He was at AT&T Bell Laboratories, Whippany, N.J. during 1982-1984. His research focuses on very high frequency transistors and integrated circuits. Current efforts include THz InP bipolar transistors, compound semiconductor field-effect-transistors for VLSI applications, and mm-wave and sub-mm-wave integrated circuit design in both silicon VLSI and III-V processes.
Prof. Rodwell received the 2010 IEEE Sarnoff Award and the 2009 IEEE IPRM Conference Award for the development of InP-based bipolar IC technology, at both device and circuit design level, for mm-wave and sub-mm-wave applications. His group's work on GaAs Schottky-diode ICs for subpicosecond / mm-wave instrumentation was awarded the 1997 IEEE Microwave Prize and the 1998 European Microwave Conference Microwave Prize. Prof. Rodwell was elected IEEE Fellow in 2003
- IEEE David Sarnoff Award, 2010
- IEEE Microwave Prize, 1997
- Presidential Young Investigator, 1989
- A low computation adaptive blind mismatch correction for time-interleaved ADCs, IEEE Int'l Midwest Symp. Circuits and Systems, 2006, Munkyo Seo, Mark Rodwell, and Upamanyu Madhow, web link
- A Mixed-Signal Row/Column Architecture for Very Large Monolithic mm-Wave Phased Arrays, 2006 Lester Eastman Conference On High Performance Devices, 2006, Corrado Carta, Munkyo Seo, and Mark Rodwell,, web link
- Developing Bipolar Transistors for Sub-mm-Wave Amplifiers and Next-Generation (300 GHz) Digital Circuits, IEEE Device Research Conference, 2006, Mark Rodwell, Z. Griffith, N. Parthasarathy, E. Lind, C. Sheldon, S. R. Bank, U. Singisetti, M. Urteaga, K. Shinohara, R. Pierson, P. Rowell, web link
- Frequency Limits of Bipolar Integrated Circuits, IEEE MTT-S 2006 International Microwave Symposium Technical Program, 2006, M. Rodwell, Z. Griffith, N. Parthasarathy, U. Singisetti, V. Paidi, M. Urteaga, R. Pierson, P. Rowell, B. Brar, web link
- Selectively implanted subcollector DHBTs, 2006 IEEE conference on Indium Phosphide and Related Materials, 2006, Navin Parthasarathy, Z. Griffith, C. Kadow, U. Singisetti, M.J.W. Rodwell, M. Urteaga, K. Shinohara, B. Brar,, web link