Electrical & Computer Engineering
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106
tel: (805) 893-8511
Personal web site
• Electronic Materials growth and fabrication of new semiconductor devices.
• MOCVD of III-V compound semiconductor materials and devices (InP, GaN).
• Special interests include the effect of materials properties on device performance Blue LEDs, Blue Lasers, and High Temperature, High Power Electronic Devices.
Dr. Steven P. DenBaars is an Professor of Materials and Co-Director of the Solid-State Lighting and Energy Center at the University of California Santa Barbara. In 2005 he was appointed the Mitsubishi Chemical Chair in Solid State Lighting and Displays. From 1988-1991 Prof. DenBaars was a member of the technical staff at Hewlett-Packard's Optoelectroncis Division involved in the growth and fabrication of visible LEDs. Specific research interests include growth of wide-bandgap semiconductors (GaN based), and their application to Blue LEDs and lasers and high power electronic devices. This research has lead to the first US university demonstration of a Blue GaN laser diode. He received a NSF Young Investigator award in 1994, and the IEEE Fellow award in 2005. He has Authored or Co-Authored over 600 technical publications, 250 conference presentation, and over 30 patents.
- Aron Kressel Award, IEEE Photonics Society, 2010
- Japanese Science of Applied Physics (JSAP) Outstanding Paper Award for “Demonstration of Nonpolar m-Plane InGaN/GaN Laser Diode", 2008
- Viterbi Award, USC Distinguished Alumni Award, University of Southern California, 2007
- IEEE Fellow, 2005
- Mitsubishi Chemical Chair in Solid State Lighting and Displays, 2005
- Chairman, MOVPE Conference, 2004
- Scientific Advisor, Cree Lighting Co., 2000-presen
- Young Scientist Award, Intl. Symposium on Compound Semiconductors, 1998
- Chairman, LEOS Topical Conference on Gallium Nitride, 1997
- Co-Founder, Nitres Inc., 1997
- Co-Organizer, Fall MRS Symposium on GaN Materials, 1997
- VBL Visiting Professor Fellowship, Nagoya University, 1996
- NSF Young Investigator Award, 1994-99
- Best Paper Award, Electronic Materials Conference, 1987
- InGaN/GaN Blue Laser Diode Grown on Semipolar (3031) Free-Standing GaN Substrates, The Japan Society of Applied Physics: Applied Physics Express, 3, 2010, 052702, P.S. Hsu, K. Kelchner, A. Tyagi, R. Ferrell, D. Haeger, K. Fujito, H. Ohta, S. DenBaars, J. Speck, S. Nakamura
- Propagation of Spontaneous Emission in Birefringent m-Axis Oriented Semipolar (1122) (Al,In,Ga)N Waveguide Structures, Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 49, 2010, 01020, C.Y. Huang, A. Tyagi, Y.D. Lin, M. Hardy, et. al.
- Characterization of blue-green m-plane InGaN light emitting diodes, Applied Physics Letters, 94, 2009, 231108, Y.D.Lin, A. Chakraborty, S. Brinkley, H.C. Kuo, T. Melo, K. Fujito, J. Speck, S. DenBaars, S. Nakamura
- Customized Filter Cube in Fluorescence Microscope Measurements of InGaN/GaN Quantum-Well Characterization, Japanese Journal of Applied Physics, 48, 2009, 098003, H. Masui, J. Sonoda, A. Chakraborty, H. Yamada, K. Iso, N. Pfaff, I. Koslow, S. Nakamura, S. DenBaar
- Photoelectrochemical etching of p-type GaN heterostructures, Applied Physics Letters, 94, 2009, 151113, A. Tamboli, A. Hirai, S. Nakamura, S. DenBaars, E. Hu
- Si Delta-Doped m-plane AlGaN/GaN Heterojunction Field-Effect Transistors, The Japan Society of Applied Physics: Applied Physics Express, 2, 2009, 061003, T. Fujiwara, S. Keller, M. Higashiwaki, J. Speck, S. DenBaars, U. Mishra
- Energy Efficent LEDs for Sustainable Solid-State Lighting, UCSB Engineering Insights Conference, 2008, S. DenBaars
- Growth of Fe doped semi-insulating GaN by metalorganic chemical vapor deposition, Applied Physics Letters, vol.81, no.3, 2002, 439-41, Heikman S, Keller S, DenBaars SP, Mishra UK
- Threading dislocation reduction via laterally overgrown nonpolar, Applied Physics Letters, 2002, 1201-3, Craven MD, Lim SH, Wu F, Speck JS, DenBaars SP
- Tunable sampled-grating DBR lasers using quantum-well intermixing, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol.14, no.9, 2002, 1243-5, Skogen EJ, Barton JS, DenBaars SP, Coldren LA
- Blue InGaN MQW laser diodes on sapphire, Conference Proceedings. LEOS'98. 11th Annual Meeting. IEEE Lasers and Electro-Optics Society 1998 Annual Meeting, vol.2, 1998, 346-7, DenBaars SP, Abare AC, Mack MP, Hansen M, Sink RK, Kozodoy P, Keller S, Speck JS, Bowers JE, Mishra UK, Coldren LA
- Gallium nitride based semiconductors for short wavelength optoelectronics, International Journal of High Speed Electronics, vol.8, no.2, 1997, 265-82, Denbaars SP